Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy… But when Clever Girls Collective added me to their UbiChamps team and offered me the opportunity to review Just Dance 4 for the Wii, my answer was anything but “maybe.”
I’ve complained a bit about how difficult it is for me to lose weight with the variety of health problems I’m facing, so I saw this video game review as an opportunity to take matters into my own hands and have some fun with it. And make no mistake about it, Just Dance 4 is a lot of fun! It’s also exhausting for me.
My Favorite Just Dance 4 Tracks
I have always been…awkward on the dance floor. I think I look like a rock star, but I look more like one of the guys from Big Bang Theory. (Okay, so I used to think I looked like a rock star, but I’m no longer under such illusions.) So I’ve only really attempted the songs on the lowest difficulty, and maybe with practice, I’ll be able to move up to a two-star difficulty song in another year or two.
Call Me Maybe
The song that gets stuck in your head for three weeks is the default track when you first start up the game. Thanks, Carly Rae Jepsen. The premise behind the music video is pretty cute… It’s on a smartphone screen. TJ loves this song, so I’ve even gotten him to dance to it. He’s more awkward than I am. How awkward am I? I’m glad you asked. I made a totally embarrassing video to go along with this review.
If you’re going to make fun of my dancing, please keep it to good-natured teasing. As you can see, though, it’s quite a workout for me… I need to rest for at least an hour afterward. (That’s the CFS keeping me down.) Great calorie burner, though! Might not excuse a whole piece of pie, but maybe a dollop of whipped cream?
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Tom has been a fan of They Might Be Giants since before we even started dating. I laughed so hard when I realized this song was part of the game. It may just be my favorite dance on the whole disc, but I didn’t make it my embarrassing video because there are supposed to be four dancers in total, and doing just one part…you can’t get the full appreciation of it. The dancers are animals in the video, and I always choose the shark girl instead of one of her backup dancers. I think it might be the least intense dance I’ve tried on Just Dance 4, and super fun.
Never Gonna Give You Up
Yes, you get Rickrolled on Just Dance 4. I didn’t do this dance yet, but Tom did. I kind of manipulated him into playing. I’m good at that sort of thing. It was totally worth it, though. The dancer for this Rick Astley song is inexplicably dressed as a superhero. In the background while you’re trying to follow along with the dance steps, the city gets attacked by aliens, a Godzilla-like monster, and other assorted mayhem. It’s absolutely ridiculous, and so much fun to watch someone else dance to.
You’re The First, The Last, My Everything
Why is Barry White on Just Dance 4? I don’t know, but this is the best dance video premise in the whole game. (I watched Tom do this one, too.) Four male dancers take part. They each get into an elevator and start dancing when the song comes on. They all look embarrassed about it, but they get sucked into an entire routine. By the end of it, the guy in the suit straightens his tie, and they all pretend they didn’t spontaneous burst into dance before they get out of the elevator. This would be fun with friends, although our living room isn’t big enough to dance four people across.
It’s not the original vocals from the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, but the Time Warp on Just Dance 4 is a passable cover. I haven’t tried this one myself because of the difficulty level, but I do want to make an attempt to try it with Tom sometime since there are partner dance segments. I was a little bit disappointed at the whole jump to the left, step to the right choreography, but otherwise, it’s still a great dance number…and they paid homage to Riff-Raff and Magenta in some of the dance moves.
Full Just Dance 4 Track List
Maybe you don’t care about my favorite tracks, and you just want to know what ELSE is on the disc. Here’s a complete list of all of the dance tracks on Just Dance 4:
- 2 Unlimited – “Tribal Dance”
- A.K.A – “Hot For Me”
- Anja – “Crazy Little Thing”
- Rick Astley – “Never Gonna Give You Up”
- Army of Lovers – “Crucified”
- The B-52’s – “Rock Lobster”
- Justin Bieber feat. Nicki Minaj – “Beauty and a Beat”
- The Blackout Allstars – “I Like It”
- Boys Town Gang – “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You”
- Blu Cantrell – “Hit ‘Em Up Style (Oops!)”
- Dancing Bros. – “Everybody Needs Somebody To Love”
- Kat DeLuna ft. Busta Rhymes – “Run The Show”
- Europe – “The Final Countdown”
- Flo Rida – “Good Feeling”
- Nelly Furtado – “Maneater”
- The Girly Team – “Oops!… I Did It Again”
- Selena Gomez and the Scene – “Love You Like A Love Song”
- Halloween Thrills – “Time Warp”
- Hit The Electro Beat – “We No Speak Americano”
- Carly Rae Jepsen – “Call Me Maybe”
- Las Ketchup – “Asereje (The Ketchup Song)”
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull – “On The Floor”
- Marina and The Diamonds – “Oh No!”
- Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera – “Moves Like Jagger”
- Ricky Martin – “Livin’ La Vida Loca”
- Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes – “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life”
- Sergio Mendes ft. The Black Eyed Peas – “Mas Que Nada”
- Nicki Minaj – “Super Bass”
- One Direction – “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Panjabi MC – “Beware Of The Boys (Mundian To Bach Ke)”
- P!nk – “So What”
- Elvis Presley – “Jailhouse Rock”
- Rihanna – “Disturbia”
- Rihanna ft. Jay-Z – “Umbrella”
- Sammy – “Some Catchin’ Up To Do”
- Skrillex – “Rock N’Roll (Will Take You To The Mountain)”
- Will Smith – “Wild Wild West”
- Alexandra Stan – “Mr. Saxobeat”
- They Might Be Giants – “Istanbul”
- Carrie Underwood – “Good Girl”
- Barry White – “You’re The First, The Last, My Everything”
- Stevie Wonder – “Superstition”
Losing Weight With Just Dance 4?
I can’t make any official claims about weight loss related to playing Just Dance 4, but from my own personal experience, it’s quite a workout. Since my holiday season is packed with family traditions that center on delicious food, I’m going to be getting active and getting some exercise by trying my hand (my feet?) at these dance tracks. There’s a “Just Sweat” option I haven’t even tried yet that provides a dance medley workout at whatever activity level you choose, and that looks promising, too.
Want to check out Just Dance 4 for yourself? You can click that link (or the ones at the top of the post) to buy the game on Amazon…for gifts or your own enjoyment.
Tags: dancing, music, review, video games