Healthy Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 1 split chicken breast ($1.89/lb at Fred the Butcher)
- 1 jar Prego Veggie Smart tomato sauce ($2 on sale at Price Chopper)
- 8 oz bag of 2% milk shredded mozzarella ($2.50 on sale at Price Chopper)
- 1 box Ronzoni Smart Taste penne pasta ($2.50 on sale at Price Chopper)
- Olive oil, garlic salt, black pepper
Boil the pasta according to the directions on the pasta. It’s a white whole grain pasta that tastes just like regular white pasta. Debone the chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces, and lightly saute in a saucepan with a little bit of olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper to cook it through.
Preheat oven to 350. When the pasta is al dente and the chicken is cooked through, toss together with the jar of sauce and half of the shredded mozzarella. Place in a square baking pan and sprinkle remaining cheese to cover the top of the pasta and chicken. Place in oven and bake until cheese on top has melted and is starting to brown.
Serve and enjoy!
I can get away with calling this healthy for several reasons. The chicken is breast meat and not fried like traditional chicken parm. The Veggie Smart sauce counts as two servings of vegetables and contains vegetables other than just tomatoes. The pasta is made with whole grain, packed with fiber, and fortified with vitamins and minerals. The cheese is made with 2% milk – and trust me, you won’t miss the full fat whole milk version of the cheese.
My family loves this meal. We don’t even need side dishes!